Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the night before Christmas....

I can hardly believe that it is Christmas eve......even more that Christmas is tomorrow! In some ways it just doesn't feel like it. I think that it just came upon us so quickly this year. Don't you agree? I baked up a few goodies last night for Christmas dinner including a rum cake. Mmmmm it smelled so good. I hope it turns out. : ) Tonight we will be going to my mom's house for dinner. I think my mom mentioned watching....you guessed it....Christmas Vacation! Derek will most likely not be joining us. He has been working nights and will be off tomorrow with all of us and will return to work on Friday for a normal day shift. So......his plan is to try and stay up as long as possible today....sleep like normal people do tonight and get up tomorrow morning for Christmas breakfast. My dad, Grandpa and Grandma Mein and my brother are all coming over in the morning. My dad is making his famous biscuits and gravy. Oh yes....they are famous! And so good too. He taught me how to make the gravy.......I had NO idea you could make gravy out of milk and flour (and the sausage and sausage grease of course too)!! Wow. Amazing. Derek thinks I am strange....he of course knew that this was how it's done. Must be that Iowa home cooking thing. Heehee : ) Then tomorrow afternoon we will go to my Grandma Clark's house. We will have Christmas dinner around 2 o'clock. I sure hope we won't be too full from breakfast. We plan on having prime rib. I am bringing my Brandied Steak Side Mushrooms (OMG I *heart* mushrooms) and I am also going to be bringing homemade Chunky Chi Apple Sauce. I have never attempted to make apple sauce before. I didn't get Grandma Norton's recipe (I wished I would have thought of it sooner) so I found a different one. We will see how it turns out. You can't really mess up apples, cider and spices too much.....can you? I am also making a Chocolate Pie (I'm going to cheat on this one just a bit......semi-homemade we shall say). To make up for the semi-homemade....I am going to make REAL whipped cream. The LAST time I tried to do this.....I forgot to add in some sugar and a splash of vanilla! OOPS.......not so good. I sure won't forget it this time by golly!! Teehee I'm sure my pie will be good (who doesn't love a slice of chocolate pie with REAL whipped cream) but I know it will not be as good as Connie's. She makes the best I have ever had so far.

When I was a kid our tradition for Christmas Eve in my house was that my brother and I always got to open one present. But this one present was the same each and every year. A new pair of pajamas!! It was so fun to go to sleep all cozy in our new jammies. One year I remember that we complained about ALWAYS getting pajamas. So my mom tried something new that year and got us something else. I think it was some sort of hand held games or something. We were so disappointed not to get p.j.'s even though we complained! That was the last time she did that and it was p.j.'s every year after that up until I moved out (for me anyways). Long gone have been the days of Christmas Eve's with new jammies. I sure do miss it sometimes. I think everyone enjoys new pajamas. I wonder if we will continue that tradition with our kids??? I would guess probably so. It's so much fun!

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope Santa is good to you all. : )
(get to bed early and don't stay up listening for the reindeer)

No comments: